Discover the political and social issues relevant to Spaniards today through the transition to democracy – regionalism, terrorism, and linguistic pluralism – that still account for many of the peculiarities of Spanish politics. Through this Barcelona program, you’ll learn about Spain’s Second Transition” by focusing on immigration, Islamic fundamentalism, foreign policy, gender and family relations, historical memory, political corruption, and the economic crisis. Field studies take the course to the streets where you’ll visit important historical and political landmarks. The course is multi-disciplinary, consisting of a mixture of readings from political science, history, and cultural studies.
You’ll enjoy a perfect blend of top-notch academics and experiential learning that include guest speakers, local tours and a variety of cultural activities and excursions. Your course will be taught in English, but students are highly encouraged to practice their Spanish outside of the classroom to truly get the most out of the Barcelona experience.
Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS)
Located in the heart of the city, the Barcelona SAE Academic Study Center (SIS) is our most centrally located campus option. SIS boasts fantastic local and international professors, many of whom are working professionals in the field they teach. SIS maintains small class sizes and focuses on experiential learning, which means that students will get individualized attention and will participate actively during class. Each course includes a variety of field studies, museum visits, and guided reflection that closely tie the courses to the city itself.
The courses offered at SIS encompass international and cross-cultural topics, focusing on the city by discussing local history, art, architecture, literature and geography. Our Spanish Language courses focus on spoken language skills and include useful tools for students to debrief their experiences both in and out of the classroom.
SIS is a Spanish institution but courses are offered through Jacksonville University in Florida. Jacksonville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Jacksonville University. Non-Jacksonville University students can apply to transfer course credits to their home institution by requesting a Jacksonville University transcript.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
WHY BARCELONA SIS?
What sets Barcelona SAE’s Academic Study Center, Barcelona SIS, apart from the rest?
- Small Courses – Low Faculty to Student Ratio
- Personalized Attention & High Level of Support
- American Grading & Evaluation System
- Barce-Local Integration Week
- Active Learning & Participation
- Embedded Technology
- Guest Speakers
- Each Courses Includes 3+ Field Studies
- All SIS Faculty have a Ph.D. or M.A. in their Field
- All SIS Faculty Approved by Jacksonville University as the School of Record
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
- All participants must be 18 years of age by the start of their program, unless they are participating on a customized program through their home institution and have home institution approval.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, please contact us and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
Through this program, you’ll learn about Spain’s Second Transition” by focusing on immigration, Islamic fundamentalism, foreign policy, gender and family relations, historical memory, political corruption, and the economic crisis. Field studies take the course to the streets where you’ll visit important historical and political landmarks. The course is multi-disciplinary, consisting of a mixture of readings from political science, history, and cultural studies.Accreditation
The Barcelona SAE Academic Center (SIS) is a Spanish institution with U.S. accreditation through Jacksonville University (JU). Upon completion of programs at SIS, a JU transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home university.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit an “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your three credit course will be taught in English, but with a Spanish style. This means courses will be primarily lectures with some teamwork involved. Students often feel much more independent and have more control over their learning in this environment, so you’ll enjoy the comfort of learning in English while still experiencing how the Spanish teach and learn.
Courses will be taught in English, and the class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience that allows for individual participation and team projects.
For the Contemporary Spanish Society January Term program, students will take the following course:
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every January Term, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific January Term at SIS, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from SIS’s school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Be prepared to pack a lot into your time abroad! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a Cultural Mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions (locations depend on term/program) that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona SAE Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Did you know that you can receive a $250.00 discount off a January program if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|Jan 2 - Jan 19, 2020
||Apartment or Upscale Hostel: $3,550
*Submit your application deposit before Sep 15, 2019 and receive an automatic $200 Infuse Education Scholarship!*
||Nov 1, 2019
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change. Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Costs are for shared rooms; an individual room is available for an additional fee.
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The Contemporary Spanish Society January Term Program at the Barcelona SAE Academic Study Center (SIS) Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
- SIS Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
Cultural & Social Activities:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- An Overnight Excursion Outside of Barcelona
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Castellers Practice, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Tour of Sagrada Familia
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Barcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. Housing is offered on a first-come and availability basis, and January students can typically choose from either an apartment or upscale hostel.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Living in an apartment in Barcelona provides students with a very realistic experience of life in the city. Apartments are fully equipped shared living spaces that Barcelona SAE students may live in jointly with other students – whether they’re American or International. Our apartments are spread throughout the city in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.
Students who choose to live in an apartment do not get meals included, but every apartment has a full kitchen facility which allows students to do their own cooking (and grocery shopping… which can be a very entertaining activity in Barcelona!)
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Barcelona SAE works with a variety of upscale hostels that feature modern facilities in ideal locations. Hostels are fully equipped shared living spaces that students may live in jointly with other students – whether they’re American or International. Our hostels are spread throughout the city in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.