IMPORTANT UPDATE: Based on an abundance of evidence from around the world about the efficacy of the vaccines to help curb the spread of COVID-19, Barcelona SAE will now require all students to be fully vaccinated beginning with Fall 2021 programs.
Spend your January Term earning 3 credits at the Barcelona SAE Academic Study Center (SIS). With individualized attention and professors who use Barcelona as their classroom, this program incorporates interactive and experiential learning in a short period of time. Students can choose from our Contemporary Spanish Society OR European Sports Management courses to earn a total of 3 credits in just under 3 weeks.
The Contemporary Spanish Society course examines political and social issues relevant to Spaniards today. It begins by discussing recent history in order to contextualize the major themes of the past few decades, and then moves to those subjects that emerged out of the transition to democracy – regionalism, terrorism, and linguistic pluralism – and still account for many of the peculiarities of Spanish politics. Professors use Barcelona as the classroom through a variety of field studies such as visits to museums, important civil war sites, the parliament of Catalonia, and other government buildings.
The European Sports: Business and Management course focuses on the European sports industry, and highlights the structures and systems of governance, and the ownership, financing and management of leagues, teams, facilities and events as well as examines the role of sports marketing and endorsement deals. Critical analysis of key issues and controversies affecting the sports industry in Europe is undertaken, including the over-commercialization of sports, ethical scandals involving sports betting, systemic racism in sports, and the sustainability of team and league business models. Professors use Barcelona as the classroom through field studies such as a visit to EuroLeague Basketball, a tour of Camp Nou and/or RCD Espanyol Stadiums, MediaPro (TV production and Global sales for LaLiga), and the UCI World Tour Cycling Stage Race.
Both courses will be taught in English, but students are highly encouraged to practice their Spanish outside of the classroom to truly get the most out of the Barcelona experience.
Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS)
Located in the heart of the city, the Barcelona SAE Academic Study Center (SIS) is our most centrally located campus option. SIS boasts fantastic local and international professors, many of whom are working professionals in the field they teach. SIS maintains small class sizes and focuses on experiential learning, which means that students will get individualized attention and will participate actively during class. Each course includes a variety of field studies, museum visits, and guided reflection that closely tie the courses to the city itself.
SIS is a Spanish institution but courses are offered through Jacksonville University in Florida. Jacksonville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Jacksonville University. Non-Jacksonville University students can apply to transfer course credits to their home institution by requesting a Jacksonville University transcript.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
WHY BARCELONA SIS?
What sets Barcelona SAE’s Academic Study Center, Barcelona SIS, apart from the rest?
- Small Courses – Low Faculty to Student Ratio
- Personalized Attention & High Level of Support
- American Grading & Evaluation System
- Active Learning & Participation
- Embedded Technology
- Guest Speakers
- Field Studies
- All SIS Faculty have a Ph.D. or M.A. in their Field
- All SIS Faculty Approved by Jacksonville University as the School of Record
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
- All participants must be 18 years of age by the start of their program, unless they are participating on a customized program through their home institution and have home institution approval.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, please contact us and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
The Barcelona SAE Academic Center (SIS) is a Spanish institution with U.S. accreditation through Jacksonville University (JU). Upon completion of programs at SIS, a JU transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home university.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with your study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution, and are as transparent as possible about your plans. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit an “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate in a Barcelona SAE program. The earlier that you plan for your study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get your courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be accepted at your home institution.
Courses will be taught in English, and the class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience that allows for individual participation and team projects.
For the January Term program in Barcelona, students can choose from one of the following courses:
- Please note that a minimum of 5 students is required to open a course.
- In order to receive credit from SIS’s school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Be prepared to pack a lot into your time abroad! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a Cultural Mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona SAE Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Did you know that you can receive a $250 discount off a January program in 2022 if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|Jan 3 - Jan 22, 2022||$3,695||3||Nov 1, 2021|
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change. Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Cost is for a shared double room. You can opt to pay a $200/month supplement for a single room (if available on a first come, first serve basis).
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The January Term Program (Barcelona) Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
While in Barcelona:
- SIS Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
Cultural & Social Activities:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Cooking Class
- Day Trip
- Group Welcome Meal
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Alumni Ambassador” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Barcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. We have carefully selected safe and adequate housing for each student but each living arrangement is different.
- Housing in Barcelona is very competitive and participants will be placed based on availability. We make every effort to provide you with your preferred form of housing, but due to space limitations we cannot guarantee that you will get your first choice.
- There are no overnight guests allowed in any program housing. Our staff is happy to share a resource page for hotels and hostels for any visiting friends to use.
- Most housing will be in double rooms with students of the same gender (biological sex). You can opt to pay a $200/month supplement for a single room (if available on a first come, first serve basis). If you have any questions or concerns, please note this in your housing form.
WHERE WILL YOU LIVE?
Housing for the program is spread throughout the city of Barcelona. Every neighborhood is easily accessible by public transportation and the city is very walkable. The normal commute in Barcelona is around 45 minutes using public transportation from your housing to your school or internship, it may be a bit more or less than this.
Each neighborhood has a different feel…Les Corts is where the soccer stadium is, Gracia is hipster and bohemian, Eixample has a gay friendly district and incredible architecture, Sagrada Familia has wonderful shopping, Sant Marti & Poblenou are tech powerhouses off the tourist path.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
This choice places you in a shared apartment in the city with 3-6 other program participants. You will be placed in a double room with another student unless you indicate you would like a single room and there is one available. Apartments are spread throughout the city in residential areas so you can expect a 45 minute commute to class or your internship.
You should choose this option if:
- You’d like to be around students. In the shared apartment you will be sharing the apartment with other participants of the program.
- You want a little bit more independence in exploring the city and the culture. We will have cultural activities and excursions for you to participate in, but a lot of the time you will be on your own to explore.
- You like to do your own grocery shopping and cooking. You will share the kitchen and be responsible for your own food, cooking and cleaning.
- Improving your Spanish is not a main goal of yours. Of course there will still be chances to speak Spanish, but you’ll need to make an additional effort to meet locals and practice.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Barcelona SAE works with a variety of upscale hostels that feature modern facilities in ideal locations. Hostels are fully equipped shared living spaces that students may live in jointly with other students – whether they’re American or International. Our hostels are spread throughout the city in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops. This option is common for customized programs and/or short term programs only (not typically available for summer or semester programs).