Spend your January Term taking one or two courses (3 or 6 credits) at Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS). With small class sizes, individualized attention and professors who use Barcelona as their classroom, this program incorporates interactive learning and experiential learning to maximize learning in a short period of time.
You’ll enjoy a perfect blend of top-notch academics and experiential learning that include intriguing courses, guest speakers, local tours and a variety of cultural activities and excursions. Courses are taught in English, but students are highly encouraged to practice their Spanish outside of the classroom to truly get the most out of the Barcelona experience.
When and Why Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS)
Great news – you don’t have to have to speak fluent Spanish (or any Spanish for that matter!) to participate on a Barcelona SAE program! However, we want you to study abroad in order to broaden your worldview and improve your language acquisition skills – so from beginners to fluent or native speakers, we look forward to helping you take your Spanish up a notch…no matter where you currently are!
Yes, our Barcelona January Term Program at the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is specifically designed for the international student – YOU! As we said, no previous Spanish experience or courses are required, but language development and cultural immersion are top priorities of the program and encouraged every step of the way.
So…what are you waiting for? Apply Today and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS)
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) offers international students the incredible opportunity to vastly improve their Spanish language skills while earning college credit with courses in English, specifically designed for them. SIS is located in the heart of Barcelona, a five minute walk to the thriving and modern commercial center called Plaça Catalunya and a seven minute walk to the quaint and historic El Born neighborhood. This location is accessible via many different metro and bus lines making the commute hassle free from any neighborhood.
SIS is located located inside of a prestigious language and teacher training school called International House (IH). IH provides the highest quality of language classes and training to both Catalan and International students. With a number of accreditations and the ability to accredit other institutions, International House is a top leader in Spanish language acquisition, not only in Barcelona but internationally.
SIS is a Spanish institution with U.S accreditation through Jacksonville University in Jacksonville, Florida.
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Freshman-Senior Standing
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, Contact an Advisor today and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
So what are classes like at SIS? This three week program has been developed especially for international students and offers core classes in Business, Arts and the Humanities, as well as specialized options that focus on Barcelona and all its intriguing features. Bringing learning to life is taken to a whole new level as you walk past the art of Gaudi after studying it in class that day.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit an “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your three credit course will be taught in English, but with a Spanish style. This means courses will be primarily lectures with some teamwork involved. Students often feel much more independent and have more control over their learning in this environment, so you’ll enjoy the comfort of learning in English while still experiencing how the Spanish teach and learn.
For the Barcelona January Term program at SIS, students can choose from one (3 credits) or two (6 credits) of the following courses:
- Architecture & Urban Design (3 Credits, Syllabus Coming Soon)
- Contemporary Spanish Society (3 Credits)
- Management Across Borders (3 Credits)
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every January Term, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific January Term at SIS, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from SIS’s school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
Be prepared to pack a lot into your January Term! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a staff mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Did you know that you can receive a $100.00 discount off a January program if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|January 2, 2018 - January 20, 2018|
|3 Credits, Apartment or Homestay: $3,200|
6 Credits, Apartment or Homestay: $3,800
|October 27, 2017|
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change.
- Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Costs are for shared rooms; an individual room is available for an additional fee.
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The Barcelona January Term Program at Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
While in Barcelona:
- SIS Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff of Barcelona Experts
- Free Tutoring Sessions
- Independent Travel Advice
Cultural & Social Activities:
- An Overnight Excursion Outside of Barcelona
- The “Barcelona Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Salsa Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Tour of Sagrada Familia
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Housing in Barcelona
Barcelona SAE is excited to offer our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for YOU to call your home away from home. Housing is offered on a first-come and availability basis, and semester students can typically choose from either a homestay or apartment.
Homestays - Our Most Popular Option!
A homestay can be one part of meaningful cultural integration and increased safety of the study abroad experience. Homestays are designed to be a mutually valuable experience for both the hosts and the participant. We work to find homestays that want to share their culture and language with the students and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
A homestay family does not always mean a husband and wife, two children and a cute dog. In fact, what is more common is to live in the apartment of an older, widowed woman who enjoys the company.
The thorough screening process, regular family check-ins and homestay reviews allow us to monitor safety and the quality of the homestays we place our students with.
And as an added bonus, homestays include breakfast and dinner every day, laundry services once a week, a set of keys to the apartment to come and go as you please, and an individual or shared bedroom.
Living in an apartment in Barcelona provides students with a very realistic experience of life in the city. Apartments are fully equipped shared living spaces that Barcelona SAE students may live in jointly with other students – whether they’re American or International. Our apartments are spread throughout the city in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.
Students who choose to live in an apartment do not get meals included, but every apartment has a full kitchen facility which allows students to do their own cooking (and grocery shopping… which can be a very entertaining activity in Barcelona!)