We’re Here to Help Every Step of the Way.
We know that, as a parent, you may have questions and concerns when it comes to sending your student abroad to study or intern in Barcelona. Therefore, it’s important for us to provide you with as much information as possible about our programs at Barcelona SAE. As your student embarks on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime, know that our number one priority is always ensuring the health and safety of our participants.
So, when it comes to choosing a program…what sets Barcelona SAE apart from the rest?
All of our participants receive one-on-one individualized attention from a US-based Program Advisor. The advisor will work with the student through the application process, while answering any questions that pop up along the way. In addition, our participants receive a great deal of pre-departure preparation as the program date approaches, including a comprehensive pre-departure guide and a one-on-one Skype meeting. As the Barcelona experience of a lifetime grows closer, we help our students and interns further prepare through a real time online pre-departure webinar. Here, a Program Advisor will address what to expect, logistics for arrival, and answer any last minute questions before our participants board their flights to Barcelona!
Arrival in Barcelona
Upon arrival in Barcelona, students will be greeted at the airport by a Barcelona SAE representative and transferred to their housing. Later that afternoon, we’ll provide a thorough, detailed orientation which includes workshops, information sessions and hand-on resources. In addition to information about the program, this orientation includes information about the city of Barcelona, transportation, Spanish customs and traditions, how to stay safe while abroad, how to maximize the experience, and even tips about how to study abroad on a budget.
Additionally, numerous cultural activities, day trips, and weekend excursions are planned throughout the program to encourage participants to discover new areas and activities – and our #1 focus is always health and safety, both while participants are in Barcelona and outside of the city traveling.
During the Program
The support continues as our staff meets regularly with students and interns, both for group activities, as well as one-on-one, to ensure that all participants are engaging in a fulfilling Barcelona experience.
Upon Returning Home
Our Barcelona SAE staff puts together beneficial re-entry workshop in order to maximize the experience. This unique workshop offers students the tools necessary to take advantage of their experience abroad and learn how to apply this living changing experience to their future goals. Tips for improving their resume, cover letter and how to articulate the experience in interviews are cover and emphasized throughout this workshop. Going home can be a bittersweet time for many students, our staff discusses the possibility of reverse culture shock and how to deal with the diverse feelings they will experience upon returning home.
Throughout every step of the program, our expert staff members guide our students and interns physically and mentally to maximize their international experience. Feel free to check out our Health and Safety page for even more information how how we strive to keep all of our participants happy, healthy, and safe!
How Do I Contact Barcelona SAE?
For non-emergency questions while students are abroad, please contact our United States office at 1.800.226.1232, or e-mail Info@BarcelonaSAE.com. Please note that our office is open Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm Eastern Standard Time.
For any emergencies (i.e., death in the family, hospitalization of a family member, etc.), please contact the 24-Hour Barcelona SAE Emergency Phone at (+34) 675 235 656.
Please keep in mind that Barcelona is 6 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time. Do not hesitate to call in case of emergency, but note the time difference when calling for general questions or when expecting an e-mail reply.
The Rights & Responsibilities of Parents
Here at Barcelona SAE, we know that parents and families play a critical role in a participant’s experience. We recognize that engaging families as partners in your son or daughter’s experience can help us in managing risk, and in helping make the experience as powerful and rewarding as possible. As a parent or guardian, you have certain rights and responsibilities.
We at Barcelona SAE believe that parents and families have the right to:
- Be able to contact Barcelona SAE staff immediately when a health and safety issue or emergency happens.
- Expect that we are preparing your son or daughter to adapt and learn in their new environment.
- Expect that we are mitigating risks appropriately in all places where we are placing your son or daughter.
- Expect our programs to offer strong academic courses or professional-quality internships, accompanied by professional, caring staff.
- Expect we will communicate to your son or daughter’s home university appropriately with information pertinent to their experience, before, during, and after the program.
- Expect that your son or daughter will follow all Barcelona SAE policies and contact our onsite staff or 24/7 emergency line in case of difficulty or emergency.
We at Barcelona SAE believe that parents and families have the responsibility to:
- Be informed about and involved in the decision of your son or daughter to enroll in a Barcelona SAE program.
- Obtain and carefully evaluate our program materials, as well as related health, safety, and security information.
- Discuss with your son or daughter any of his/her travel plans and activities that may be independent of the study abroad program.
- Engage your son or daughter in a thorough discussion of safety and behavior issues, insurance needs, and emergency procedures related to living abroad, including being familiar with all Barcelona SAE policies.
- Be responsive to requests from us for information regarding your son or daughter.
- Keep in touch with your son or daughter.
- Be aware that your son or daughter rather than the program may most appropriately provide some information.
- Understand how FERPA Laws affect what universities and Barcelona SAE can and cannot share with parents.
A Parent Guide to Study Abroad
Written by three leading study abroad experts – Stacie Nevadomski Berdan, Allan E. Goodman, and William L. Gertz – this guide contains critical information parents need to inform themselves and to support their student as he or she navigates the study abroad experience. Download your free copy today!