Do more with your $250.00 USD Cultural Credit Card – included in every 2017 semester/quarter study abroad program! Enjoy some extra $$$ in your pocket to experience all that Barcelona has to offer!
Our program at the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is specialized so it delivers not only a renowned language education, but you will learn the beautiful language by taking interesting classes focused on Hispanic Studies. This is for those of you that mean business when it comes to learning Spanish. You will attend classes that highlight the language, the heritage, culture, and local history of the area and people we love so much.
When and Why the Universitat de Barcelona (UB)
While previous Spanish language knowledge is not required, it is suggested for the Hispanic Studies Program at the UB.
This program is specifically designed for the international student that is looking to take all their courses in Spanish, but is at a level for non-native speakers. Language development and cultural immersion are top priorities of the program and encouraged every step of the way.
You have the option of enrolling in the Hispanic Studies Semester Program at the UB during the fall semester, spring semester, or full academic year!
So…what are you waiting for? Apply Today and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
Universitat de Barcelona
Founded in 1450, the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is the oldest and largest university in the Catalonia region and boasts an annual student population of over 90,000. It has always placed importance on international relations and for many years it has been the leader among European universities to host international students – around 5,000 students annually.
The UB offers an Estudios Hispanicos program taught in Spanish for non-native or fluent speakers and is based on Spanish and Latin American culture.
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior Standing
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
- If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, Contact an Advisor today and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
The Universitat de Barcelona (UB) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UB, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in Spanish or English and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UB with other international students.
During a semester at UB, students can choose between two different options. Please click here for more information.
- Option One: 12 Credits – 110 Hour Spanish Language Class + Two Elective Courses
- Option Two: 15 Credits – 110 Hour Spanish Language Class + Three Elective Courses
- Spanish Language – A1
- Spanish Language – A1.2
- Spanish Language – A2
- Spanish Language – B1
- Spanish Language – B2
- Spanish Language – C1-C2
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester abroad at the UB, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
Be prepared to pack a lot into your semester! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a staff mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona SAE Cultural Credit Card worth $250.00 USD and a Barcelona SAE Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Please note that the Hispanic Studies Semester Program at the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) Semester Program is offered during both the Fall and Spring Semesters. Interested in going abroad for the entire Academic Year? Great! Just ask your Barcelona SAE Advisor about our discounted pricing for both semesters!
And did you know that you can receive a $250.00 discount off any semester/quarter program if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|September 6, 2017 - December 16, 2017|
Includes a $250.00 Cultural Credit Card!
|12 or 15 Credits, Apartment or Homestay: $11,500|
12 or 15 Credits, Residence Hall: $12,200
|May 26, 2017|
|January 10, 2018 - April 26, 2018|
|12 or 15 Credits, Apartment or Homestay: TBA|
12 or 15 Credits, Residence Hall: TBA
|October 27, 2017|
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change.
- Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Costs are for shared rooms; an individual room is available for an additional fee.
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The Hispanic Studies Semester Program at the UB Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to New York Times
While in Barcelona:
- $250.00 Cultural Credit Card
- UB Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Universitat de Barcelona
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff of Barcelona Experts
- Independent Travel Advice
Cultural & Social Activities:
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Madrid, Zaragoza, Seville, Granada, Basque Country, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- The “Barcelona SAE Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Salsa Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Intercambios (Language Exchanges with Local Students)
- Mentor Program & Cultural Dinner
- Welcome Lunch
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
An optional four day weekend excursion to Morocco is available at an additional cost.
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Housing in Barcelona
Barcelona SAE is excited to offer our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for YOU to call your home away from home. Housing is offered on a first-come and availability basis, and semester students can typically choose from either a homestay, apartment, or residence hall.
Homestays - Our Most Popular Option!
A homestay can be one part of meaningful cultural integration and increased safety of the study abroad experience. Homestays are designed to be a mutually valuable experience for both the hosts and the participant. We work to find homestays that want to share their culture and language with the students and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
A homestay family does not always mean a husband and wife, two children and a cute dog. In fact, what is more common is to live in the apartment of an older, widowed woman who enjoys the company.
The thorough screening process, regular family check-ins and homestay reviews allow us to monitor safety and the quality of the homestays we place our students with.
And as an added bonus, homestays include breakfast and dinner every day, laundry services once a week, a set of keys to the apartment to come and go as you please, and an individual or shared bedroom.
Living in an apartment in Barcelona provides students with a very realistic experience of life in the city. Apartments are fully equipped shared living spaces that Barcelona SAE students may live in jointly with other students – whether they’re American or International. Our apartments are spread throughout the city in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.
Students who choose to live in an apartment do not get meals included, but every apartment has a full kitchen facility which allows students to do their own cooking (and grocery shopping… which can be a very entertaining activity in Barcelona!)
Semester students may have the option to live in Residence Halls with local students. Although most of our students choose either Homestays or Apartment, please inquire with your Barcelona SAE advisor if you are interested in this option as we’d be happy to provide you with more information.
Please note that the Residence Hall option is not available for summer students.