Looking for a way to stand out in a couple of years when you apply to law school? Or maybe you’ve already realized that legal systems are some of the most complicated structures on the planet and you’s wondering how you’ll ever understand it all. Either way, this comparative pre-law study abroad program will seriously spruce up your application and give you a deeper understanding of the ins and outs of your future profession. Justice is supposed to be blind and unyielding yet even it must bend to cultural differences and expectations. Take a look at the big picture with introductory pre-law courses that emphasize the international perspective.
Studying Pre-Law Abroad
Why do it? Practicing law is all about having an incredibly thorough understanding of a system, so thorough that you are able to examine every aspect of it and apply them, ethically and effectively, to a variety of situations. In short, it’s all perspective and nothing improves your ability to see things differently like comparisons, especially when they’s done on the other side of an ocean.
You have the option of enrolling in the Legal Studies Semester/Quarter Program at the UPF during the spring semester/quarter only (fall semester/quarter and academic year are not available).
So…what are you waiting for? Apply Today and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Junior or Senior Standing
- At least one semester/quarter of college level Spanish, or equivalent, is required prior to enrolling.
- For courses taught in Spanish, a minimum of four semesters/quarters (or equivalent) of college level Spanish is required.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, Contact an Advisor today and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UPF, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UPF with other international students.
A full course listing can be found here. You will take a total of 4-5 classes, 3 of which must be specifically law focused…but the combination and additional focus is completely up to you! Courses are broken into Core Courses and Law Electives, and you must take one from each category.
There are several law specific courses so you may choose to take entirely legal based courses if you prefer, but there are course options offered from UPF’s Hispanic and European Studies (HESP) Semester/Quarter Program as well. This gives you the option to take a more culturally specific course, pursue a personal interest, or earn general or major specific credit – all while earning your Certificate of Completion while focusing on pre-law.
The program culminates with a final research paper, which can also be useful in future applications or resumes.
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester/quarter, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester/quarter abroad at the UPF, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
Be prepared to pack a lot into your semester/quarter! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a staff mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona SAE Cultural Credit Card worth $250.00 USD and a Barcelona SAE Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Please note that the Legal Studies Semester/Quarter Program at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is only offered during the Spring Semester.
And did you know that you can receive a $250.00 discount off any semester/quarter program if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|January 4, 2017 - April 1, 2017 |
Includes a $250.00 Cultural Credit Card!
|12 or 15 Credits, Apartment or Homestay: $11,750|
12 or 15 Credits, Residence Hall: $12,350
|TBA||12 or 15 Credits, Apartment or Homestay: TBA|
12 or 15 Credits, Residence Hall: TBA
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change.
- Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Costs are for shared rooms; an individual room is available for an additional fee.
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The Legal Studies Semester/Quarter Program at the UPF Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
While in Barcelona:
- $250.00 Cultural Credit Card
- UPF Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff of Barcelona Experts
- Independent Travel Advice
Cultural & Social Activities:
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Madrid, Zaragoza, Seville, Granada, Basque Country, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- The “Barcelona SAE Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Salsa Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Mentor Program & Cultural Dinner
- Welcome Lunch
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
An optional four day weekend excursion to Morocco is available at an additional cost.
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Housing in Barcelona
Barcelona SAE is excited to offer our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for YOU to call your home away from home. Housing is offered on a first-come and availability basis, and semester students can typically choose from either a homestay, apartment, or residence hall.
Homestays - Our Most Popular Option!
A homestay can be one part of meaningful cultural integration and increased safety of the study abroad experience. Homestays are designed to be a mutually valuable experience for both the hosts and the participant. We work to find homestays that want to share their culture and language with the students and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
A homestay family does not always mean a husband and wife, two children and a cute dog. In fact, what is more common is to live in the apartment of an older, widowed woman who enjoys the company.
The thorough screening process, regular family check-ins and homestay reviews allow us to monitor safety and the quality of the homestays we place our students with.
And as an added bonus, homestays include breakfast and dinner every day, laundry services once a week, a set of keys to the apartment to come and go as you please, and an individual or shared bedroom.
Living in an apartment in Barcelona provides students with a very realistic experience of life in the city. Apartments are fully equipped shared living spaces that Barcelona SAE students may live in jointly with other students – whether they’re American or International. Our apartments are spread throughout the city in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.
Students who choose to live in an apartment do not get meals included, but every apartment has a full kitchen facility which allows students to do their own cooking (and grocery shopping… which can be a very entertaining activity in Barcelona!)
Semester students may have the option to live in Residence Halls with local students. Although most of our students choose either Homestays or Apartment, please inquire with your Barcelona SAE advisor if you are interested in this option as we’d be happy to provide you with more information.
Please note that the Residence Hall option is not available for summer students.