Looking for a study abroad + internship option? Look no further than our Liberal Arts, Humanities, Business & Entrepreneurship + Internship Semester Program at Barcelona SIS! Students are encouraged take 9 academic credits at SIS and a 3 credit internship to complete this, although flexibility is available as needed and can be assessed on a case by case basis.
You’ll enjoy a perfect blend of top-notch academics and professional development opportunities that include intriguing courses, contributing to real-world projects through an immersive internship, guest speakers, local tours and a variety of cultural activities and excursions.
Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS)
Located in the heart of the city, the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is our most centrally located campus option. SIS boasts fantastic local and international professors, many of whom are working professionals in the field they teach. SIS maintains small class sizes and focuses on experiential learning, which means that students will get individualized attention and will participate actively during class. Each course includes a variety of field studies, museum visits, and guided reflection that closely tie the courses to the city itself.
The courses offered at SIS encompass international and cross-cultural topics, focusing on the city by discussing local history, art, architecture, literature and geography. Our Spanish Language courses focus on spoken language skills and include useful tools for students to debrief their experiences both in and out of the classroom.
SIS is a Spanish institution but courses are offered through Jacksonville University in Florida. Jacksonville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Jacksonville University. Non-Jacksonville University students can apply to transfer course credits to their home institution by requesting a Jacksonville University transcript.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Junior or Senior Standing
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
- All participants must be 18 years of age by the start of their program, unless they are participating on a customized program through their home institution and have home institution approval.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, please contact us and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
During the the program, you will be taking courses at the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) with the ability to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are specifically designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
You will also be participating in a customized internship in your field and can earn anywhere from 3-6 internship credits. For more information on that portion of the program, please click the internship tab.
Barcelona SIS is a Spanish institution with U.S. accreditation through Jacksonville University (JU). Upon completion of programs at Barcelona SIS, a JU transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home university.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience.
- Option A – Recommended! (12 credits): 9 Semester Credits + 3 Credit Internship
- Option B – Only by Petitioned Request (12 credits): 6 Semester Credits + 6 Credit Internship
- Option C (15 credits): 12 Semester Credits + 3 Credit Internship
- Option D (15 Credits) 12 Semester Credits + Internship (Not for Credit)
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester/quarter, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester/quarter abroad at Barcelona SIS, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from the Barcelona SIS school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Be prepared to pack a lot into your time abroad! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a Cultural Mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions (locations depend on term/program) that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona SAE Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Did you know that you can receive a $750.00 discount off a Barcelona SIS + Internship Semester Program in 2019 if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|Aug 28 - Dec 18, 2019
||Apartment or Homestay: $14,550
||9-12 Study Credits
3-6 Internship Credits
|Jun 28, 2019
|Jan 2 - Apr 24, 2020
||Apartment or Homestay: TBA
||12 or 15
||October 25, 2019
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change. Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Costs are for shared rooms; an individual room is available for an additional fee.
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) + Internship Semester Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
- SIS Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- Internship Placement
- Staff Escort to First Day of Internship
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
Professional, Cultural & Social Activities:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Zaragoza, Seville, Granada, Basque Country, etc.)
- Optional Weekend Excursion to Morocco (Additional Cost Applies)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Barcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. Housing is offered on a first-come and availability basis, and semester students can typically choose from either a homestay or apartment.
Homestays – Our Most Popular Option!
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
A homestay can be one part of meaningful cultural integration and increased safety of the study abroad experience. Homestays are designed to be a mutually valuable experience for both the hosts and the participant. We work to find homestays that want to share their culture and language with the students and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
A homestay family does not always mean a husband and wife, two children and a cute dog. In fact, what is more common is to live in the apartment of an older, widowed woman who enjoys the company.
The thorough screening process, regular family check-ins and homestay reviews allow us to monitor safety and the quality of the homestays we place our students with.
And as an added bonus, homestays include breakfast and dinner every day, laundry services once a week, a set of keys to the apartment to come and go as you please, and an individual or shared bedroom.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Living in an apartment in Barcelona provides students with a very realistic experience of life in the city. Apartments are fully equipped shared living spaces that Barcelona SAE students may live in jointly with other students and interns – whether they’re American or International. Our apartments are spread throughout the city in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.
Students who choose to live in an apartment do not get meals included, but every apartment has a full kitchen facility which allows students to do their own cooking (and grocery shopping… which can be a very entertaining activity in Barcelona!)