The International Business & Humanities Semester Program at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) will deliver on all fronts by letting you study in one of Europe’s most vibrant and affordable cities while learning from local professors.
This program is perfect for those looking to get their feet wet on a global scale. The chance to learn from an entirely new perspective is priceless…especially in the field of business. You will take courses in English or Spanish for your major, minor, or general education requirements that are customized for study abroad students, all while absorbing Spanish at an astonishing rate thanks to your intensive language course.
Universitat de Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
Established in 1960, the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) is one of the most dynamic universities in Spain. The UAB has been ranked in the top 30 young universities around the world and has received a prestigious award for sustainability.
Barcelona SAE’s International Business & Humanities Program is located on two central campuses. One of them is the gorgeous Hospital Sant Pau Campus, a UNESCO World Heritage site and a few minutes walk from Gaudí’s Sagrada Familia! The other campus is located near the Barcelona SAE offices in the Eixample neighborhood of the city, close to Passeig de Gracia and Plaça Catalunya. Classes are spread between the two campuses with time between classes to travel back and forth by metro.
The UAB has a strong focus on International Business and Economics, but also offers a wide variety of courses that revolve around the history and society of Barcelona, Spain, and Europe from different perspectives. These courses will allow you to delve into politics, literature, arts, architecture, sociology, and history. The UAB also offers Spanish Language courses for all levels.
The UAB’s Barcelona campus is specially designed for international students and you will share the campus with students from the United States, Egypt, Brazil, Russia, China, Northern Europe, and other areas around the world.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- 2.75 (2.7 with two letters of recommendation)
- Sophomore-Senior Standing
- Prior to being accepted into the program, students must submit a transcript that includes coursework from at least two college semesters.
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
- All participants must be 18 years of age by the start of their program, unless they are participating on a customized program through their home institution and have home institution approval.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, please contact us and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UAB, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit an “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate in a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with the study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UAB with other international students.
Students who study for a semester at the UAB have the option to take a 45 hour (3 credits) or 90 hour (6 credits) language course, taught at a level determined by an online placement exam.
Please note that, while it is not mandatory to take Spanish language, it is STRONGLY encouraged. The language class sizes are no more than 20 students to maximize time spent in the classroom and ensure a personalized experience.
- Option A (12 credits): 1 Intensive Spanish Language Course (90 Hours) plus 2 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Option B (12 credits): 1 Spanish Language Course (45 Hours) plus 3 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Option C (12 credits): 4 Electives (45 Hours)
- Option D (15 credits): 1 Intensive Spanish Language Course (90 Hours) Plus 3 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Option E (15 credits): 1 Spanish Language Course (45 Hours Each) Plus 4 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Option F (15 credits) 5 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester abroad at the UAB, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- Once students have enrolled in courses at the UAB, there is a 100 EUR penalty for dropping a course if that student does not replace those lost credits with an equivalent amount.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Be prepared to pack a lot into your time abroad! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a Cultural Mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions (locations depend on term/program) that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona SAE Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Did you know that you can receive a $500 discount off our UAB Semester Program if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|Sep 3 - Dec 19, 2020
||Apartment or Homestay: $12,395
||12 or 15
||Apr 15, 2020
|Jan 4 - Apr 23, 2021*
*Dates are tentative and will be confirmed closer to the program date.
|Apartment or Homestay: TBA
||12 or 15
||Oct 1, 2020
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change. Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Costs are for shared rooms; an individual room is available for an additional fee.
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The International Business & Humanities Semester Program at the UAB Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
- UAB Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
Cultural & Social Activities:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Exact number of excursion(s) and location(s) dependent on program and term – possible destinations may include but are not limited to Zaragoza, Seville, Granada, Basque Country, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Exact number of excursion(s) and location(s) dependent on program and term – possible destinations may include but are not limited to Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- Optional Weekend Excursion to Morocco (Additional cost applies)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The local perspective of what’s happening each week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Barcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. Housing is offered on a first-come and availability basis, and semester students can typically choose from either a homestay or apartment.
Homestays – Our Most Popular Option!
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
A homestay can be one part of meaningful cultural integration and increased safety of the study abroad experience. Homestays are designed to be a mutually valuable experience for both the hosts and the participant. We work to find homestays that want to share their culture and language with the students and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
A homestay family does not always mean a husband and wife, two children and a cute dog. In fact, what is more common is to live in the apartment of an older, widowed woman who enjoys the company.
The thorough screening process, regular family check-ins and homestay reviews allow us to monitor safety and the quality of the homestays we place our students with.
And as an added bonus, homestays include breakfast and dinner every day, laundry services once a week, a set of keys to the apartment to come and go as you please, and an individual or shared bedroom.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Living in an apartment in Barcelona provides students with a very realistic experience of life in the city. Apartments are fully equipped shared living spaces that Barcelona SAE students may live in jointly with other students and interns – whether they’re American or International. Our apartments are spread throughout the city in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.
Students who choose to live in an apartment do not get meals included, but every apartment has a full kitchen facility which allows students to do their own cooking (and grocery shopping… which can be a very entertaining activity in Barcelona!)