IMPORTANT UPDATE: Based on an abundance of evidence from around the world about the efficacy of the vaccines to help curb the spread of COVID-19, Barcelona SAE will now require all students to be fully vaccinated beginning with Fall 2021 programs.
Explore the various aspects of the relationship between food, culture and society in the mediterranean, where eating is not a simple act of survival but rather a cultural and social activity. This Multicultural Perspective Travel program will study how, when and what locals eat and find cultural differences and similarities throughout the three countries we will visit. The course explores the business behind the industries of food production and exportation, as well as the nutritional elements behind the delicious Mediterranean diet. Cooking classes, market tours and tastings make this a delicious way to explore these three countries.
You’ll enjoy a perfect blend of top-notch academics and experiential learning that include intriguing courses, guest speakers, local tours and a variety of cultural activities and excursions. The course is taught in English, but students are highly encouraged to practice their Spanish, Italian, and Greek language skills outside of the classroom to truly get the most out of the experience.
Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS)
Located in the heart of the city, the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is our most centrally located campus option. SIS boasts fantastic local and international professors, many of whom are working professionals in the field they teach. SIS maintains small class sizes and focuses on experiential learning, which means that students will get individualized attention and will participate actively during class. Each course includes a variety of field studies, museum visits, and guided reflection that closely tie the courses to the city itself.
SIS is a Spanish institution but courses are offered through Jacksonville University in Florida. Jacksonville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Jacksonville University. Non-Jacksonville University students can apply to transfer course credits to their home institution by requesting a Jacksonville University transcript.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish, Italian, or Greek language knowledge is required.
- All participants must be 18 years of age by the start of their program, unless they are participating on a customized program through their home institution and have home institution approval.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, please contact us and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
So what are classes like at SIS? This three week program has been developed especially for international students and offers a food & culture course that travels through Barcelona, Rome and Athens!
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with your study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution, and are as transparent as possible about your plans. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit an “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate in a Barcelona SAE program. The earlier that you plan for your study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get your course pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be accepted at your home institution.
Your course will be taught in English, and the class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience that allows for individual participation and team projects.
For the Multicultural Perspective Travel: Food & Culture (Barcelona + Rome + Athens) May Term program, students will take the following course:
- In order to receive credit from SIS’s school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Be prepared to pack a lot into your time abroad! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a Cultural Mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions (locations depend on term/program) that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona SAE Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Did you know that you can receive a $250 discount off a summer program in 2022 if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|May 12 - Jun 1, 2022||$5,995||3||Mar 1, 2022|
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change. Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Cost is for a shared double room. You can opt to pay a $200/month supplement for a single room (if available on a first come, first serve basis).
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The Multicultural Perspective Travel: Food & Culture (Barcelona + Rome + Athens) Summer Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
While in Barcelona:
- SIS Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- Airport Pick-Up & Drop-Off in Barcelona & Rome
- Airport Pick-Up in Athens
- Flights Between European Cities
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (A mix of aparthotels, hotels and upscale hostels)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
Cultural & Social Activities:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Castellers Practice, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Alumni Ambassador” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to Barcelona and from Athens
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
- Since this program travels throughout Europe, students must adhere to the maximum bag allowance policy: 1 checked suitcase (25kg max)+ 1 carry on (10kg max, 55x20x40cm) + one personal item that needs to fit under the seat of the aircraft (no larger than 20x15x30cm).
- You must be able to move your own luggage easily without aid. We highly encourage you to pack light and plan to do laundry during your trip. Many students do this program with only a hiking backpack.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Barcelona SAE works with a variety of upscale hostels that feature modern facilities in ideal locations. Hostels are fully equipped shared living spaces that students may live in jointly with other students – whether they’re American or International. Our hostels are spread throughout in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.