Immerse yourself in the fascinating history, politics and culture of three of Europe’s most beautiful cities with a focus on the past and how it impacts present life and culture. This Multicultural Perspective program travels from the modern architecture to Gaudi, to ancient imperial Rome through the eyes of Michelangelo and da Vinci, and finishes with the Athens as we explore art and culture. Museum visits, tours and interactive classes bring what you learn in the classroom into focus.
You’ll enjoy a perfect blend of top-notch academics and experiential learning that include intriguing courses, guest speakers, local tours and a variety of cultural activities and excursions. Courses are taught in English, but students are highly encouraged to practice their Spanish and Italian language skills outside of the classroom to truly get the most out of the experience.
Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS)
Located in the heart of the city, the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is our most centrally located campus option. SIS boasts fantastic local and international professors, many of whom are working professionals in the field they teach. SIS maintains small class sizes and focuses on experiential learning, which means that students will get individualized attention and will participate actively during class. Each course includes a variety of field studies, museum visits, and guided reflection that closely tie the courses to the city itself.
SIS is a Spanish institution but courses are offered through Jacksonville University in Florida. Jacksonville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Jacksonville University. Non-Jacksonville University students can apply to transfer course credits to their home institution by requesting a Jacksonville University transcript.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish or Italian language knowledge is required.
- All participants must be 18 years of age by the start of their program, unless they are participating on a customized program through their home institution and have home institution approval.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, please contact us and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
Immerse yourself in the fascinating history, politics and culture of three of Europe’s most beautiful cities with a focus on the past and how it impacts present life and culture. This Multicultural Perspective program travels from the modern architecture to Gaudi, to ancient imperial Rome through the eyes of Michelangelo and da Vinci, and finishes in Athens as we explore art and culture. Museum visits, tours and interactive classes bring what you learn in the classroom into focus.
Barcelona SIS is a Spanish institution with U.S. accreditation through Jacksonville University (JU). Upon completion of programs at Barcelona SIS, a JU transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home university.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit an “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Courses will be taught in English, and the class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience that allows for individual participation and team projects.
For the History & Politics of the Mediterranean: A Multicultural Perspective May Term program, students can choose from one of the following two courses:
|History and Culture of the Great Cities of the Mediterranean: Barcelona, Rome & Athens
|Politics and Society in the Mediterranean: Barcelona, Rome & Athens
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every May Term, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona and Italy often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific January Term at SIS, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from SIS’s school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Be prepared to pack a lot into your time abroad! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a Cultural Mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions (locations depend on term/program) that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona SAE Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Did you know that you can receive a $250.00 discount off a Summer program if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|May 10 - May 29, 2021*
*Dates are tentative and will be confirmed closer to the program date.
||Mar 1, 2021
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change. Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Costs are for shared rooms; an individual room is available for an additional fee.
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The History & Politics of the Mediterranean: A Multicultural Perspective May Term Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
While in Barcelona:
- SIS Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Flights Between European Cities
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
Cultural & Social Activities:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Castellers Practice, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Alumni Ambassador” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to Barcelona and from Athens
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
- Since this program travels throughout Europe, students must adhere to the bag allowance policy: 1 suitcase (25kg max)+ 1 carry on (10kg max) + one personal item that needs to fit under the seat of the aircraft.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Barcelona SAE works with a variety of upscale hostels that feature modern facilities in ideal locations. Hostels are fully equipped shared living spaces that students may live in jointly with other students – whether they’re American or International. Our hostels are spread throughout in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.