Choose from four weeks in June, four weeks in July, or both!
Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) offers a personalized classroom atmosphere to students who are looking to rapidly improve their Spanish language skills and gain US credits for major, minor, and elective courses taught in English. The SIS Summer Program includes even more than your average summer, with each four week term including a weekend excursion within Spain, multiple day trips, career development tools, and a variety of courses to choose from for a wide range of majors!
You’ll enjoy a perfect blend of top-notch academics and experiential learning that include intriguing courses, guest speakers, local tours and a variety of cultural activities and excursions. Most electives are taught in English, but students are highly encouraged to enroll in our Intensive Spanish Language Courses to truly get the most out of the Barcelona experience.
When and Why Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS)
Great news – you don’t have to speak fluent Spanish (or any Spanish for that matter!) to participate on a Barcelona SAE program! However, we want you to study abroad in order to broaden your worldview and improve your language acquisition skills – so from beginners to fluent or native speakers, we look forward to helping you take your Spanish up a notch…no matter where you currently are!
Yes, our summer program at the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is specifically designed for the international student – YOU! As we said, no previous Spanish experience or courses are required, but language development and cultural immersion are top priorities of the program and encouraged every step of the way.
You have the option of enrolling in the SIS Summer Program for four weeks during June, four weeks during July, or both! Students enrolling in both sessions will receive a $750.00 discount.
So…what are you waiting for? Apply Today and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS)
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) offers international students the incredible opportunity to vastly improve their Spanish language skills while earning college credit with courses in English, specifically designed for them. SIS is located in the heart of Barcelona, just minutes from Plaça Catalunya – the central transportation hub of the city.
SIS is located located inside of a prestigious language school called International House (IH). International House is a top leader in Spanish language acquisition, not only in Barcelona but internationally.
SIS is a Spanish institution with U.S accreditation through Jacksonville University in Jacksonville, Florida.
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior Standing
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, Contact an Advisor today and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are specifically designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is accredited by Jacksonville University (JU) in Jacksonville, Florida. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at SIS, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at SIS with other international students, and class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience.
For each four week term at SIS, students can choose from the following options:
- Option A (3 credits): 1 Spanish Language Course (45 Hours)
- Option B (3 credits): 1 Elective (45 Hours)
- Option C (6 credits): 1 Spanish Language course (45 Hours) Plus 1 Elective (45 Hours)
- Option D (6 credits): 2 Electives (45 Hours Each)
For the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) Summer Program, students can choose from the following courses:
- Elementary Spanish Language and Culture (Level A1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Elementary Spanish Language and Culture (Level A2, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture (Level B1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture (Level B2, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Advanced Spanish Language and Culture (Level C1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Architecture and Urban Design: The Barcelona Example (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Contemporary Spanish Society (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Cross Cultural Psychology & Early Childhood Education (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Great 20th Century Artists: Picasso, Dalí, Miró (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- International Marketing (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Management Across Borders (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Sports and Society in Spain and Catalonia (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every summer, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific summer abroad at SIS, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from the SIS school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
Be prepared to pack a lot into your summer! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a staff mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Did you know that you can receive a $100.00 discount off a summer program if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|May 29, 2017 - June 29, 2017|
(Session I, 4 Weeks)
June 30, 2017 - July 29, 2017
(Session II, 4 Weeks)
May 29, 2017 - July 29, 2017
(Session I & II, 8 Weeks)
|4 Weeks, Session I, Apartment or Homestay (3 Credits): $4,400|
4 Weeks, Session I, Apartment or Homestay (6 Credits): $4,900
4 Weeks, Session II, Apartment or Homestay (3 Credits): $4,400
4 Weeks, Session II, Apartment or Homestay (6 Credits): $4,900
8 Weeks, Session I & II, Apartment or Homestay (6 Credits): $8,050
8 Weeks, Session I & II, Apartment or Homestay (9 Credits): $8,550
8 Weeks, Session I & II, Apartment or Homestay (12 Credits): $9,050
|April 28, 2017 |
May 26, 2017
April 28, 2017
(Session I & II)
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change.
- Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Costs are for shared rooms; an individual room is available for an additional fee.
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) Summer Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
While in Barcelona:
- SIS Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff of Barcelona Experts
- Independent Travel Advice
Cultural & Social Activities:
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Costa Brava, Valencia, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- The “Barcelona Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Salsa Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Mentor Program & Cultural Dinner
- Welcome Hike & Traditional Catalan Welcome Lunch
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Housing in Barcelona
Barcelona SAE is excited to offer our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for YOU to call your home away from home. Housing is offered on a first-come and availability basis, and semester students can typically choose from either a homestay, apartment, or residence hall.
Homestays - Our Most Popular Option!
A homestay can be one part of meaningful cultural integration and increased safety of the study abroad experience. Homestays are designed to be a mutually valuable experience for both the hosts and the participant. We work to find homestays that want to share their culture and language with the students and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
A homestay family does not always mean a husband and wife, two children and a cute dog. In fact, what is more common is to live in the apartment of an older, widowed woman who enjoys the company.
The thorough screening process, regular family check-ins and homestay reviews allow us to monitor safety and the quality of the homestays we place our students with.
And as an added bonus, homestays include breakfast and dinner every day, laundry services once a week, a set of keys to the apartment to come and go as you please, and an individual or shared bedroom.
Living in an apartment in Barcelona provides students with a very realistic experience of life in the city. Apartments are fully equipped shared living spaces that Barcelona SAE students may live in jointly with other students – whether they’re American or International. Our apartments are spread throughout the city in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.
Students who choose to live in an apartment do not get meals included, but every apartment has a full kitchen facility which allows students to do their own cooking (and grocery shopping… which can be a very entertaining activity in Barcelona!)