Choose from four weeks in June, four weeks in July, or both!
The Liberal Arts, Humanities, Business & Entrepreneurship Summer Program at the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) gives you the opportunity to take courses in English and/or Spanish that can count towards your major, minor, or general education requirements. The SIS Summer Program includes even more than your average summer, with each four-week term including a weekend excursion within Spain, multiple day trips, career development tools, and a variety of courses to choose from for a wide range of majors!
You’ll enjoy a perfect blend of top-notch academics and experiential learning that include intriguing courses, guest speakers, local tours and a variety of cultural activities and excursions. Most electives are taught in English, but students are highly encouraged to enroll in our Intensive Spanish Language Courses to truly get the most out of the Barcelona experience.
So…what are you waiting for? Apply Today and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS)
Located in the heart of the city, the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) boasts the best local and international professors while maintaining small class sizes. Individualized attention, ongoing evaluation, group projects and a curriculum closely tied to the city set this university apart. Each course includes a variety of field studies, museum visits, and guided reflection. Students will vastly improve their Spanish language skills and can also take a variety of courses in English or Spanish.
SIS is a Spanish institution with U.S accreditation through Jacksonville University in Jacksonville, Florida.
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Freshman-Senior Standing
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, Contact an Advisor today and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are specifically designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
Barcelona SIS is a Spanish institution with U.S. accreditation through Jacksonville University (JU). Upon completion of programs at Barcelona SIS, a JU transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home university.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit an “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate in a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at SIS with other international students, and class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience.
For each four week term at SIS, students can choose from the following options:
- Option A (3 credits): 1 Spanish Language Course (45 Hours)
- Option B (3 credits): 1 Elective (45 Hours)
- Option C (6 credits): 1 Spanish Language course (45 Hours) Plus 1 Elective (45 Hours)
- Option D (6 credits): 2 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Elementary Spanish Language and Culture (Level A1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Elementary Spanish Language and Culture (Level A2, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture (Level B1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture (Level B2, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Advanced Spanish Language and Culture (Level C1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Architecture and Urban Design: The Barcelona Example (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Contemporary Spanish Society (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Cross Cultural Psychology & Early Childhood Education (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Digital Photography (3 Credits, 45 Hours) Syllabus Coming Soon!
- Great 20th Century Artists: Picasso, Dalí, Miró (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- International Marketing (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Management Across Borders (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Sports and Society in Spain and Catalonia (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- The Power of Persuasion – Psychology (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every summer, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific summer abroad at Barcelona SIS, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from the Barcelona SIS school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
Be prepared to pack a lot into your summer! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a staff mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Did you know that you can receive a $100.00 discount off a summer program if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|May 28, 2018 - June 27, 2018|
(Session I, 4 Weeks)
June 28, 2018 - July 28, 2018
(Session II, 4 Weeks)
May 28, 2018 - July 28, 2018
(Session I & II, 8 Weeks)
|3 Credits, Session I, Apartment or Homestay: $4,400|
6 Credits, Session I, Apartment or Homestay: $4,900
3 Credits, Session II, Apartment or Homestay: $4,400
6 Credits, Session II, Apartment or Homestay: $4,900
6 Credits, Session I & II, Apartment or Homestay: $7,600
9 Credits, Session I & II, Apartment or Homestay: $8,350
12 Credits, Session I & II, Apartment or Homestay: $8,850
|April 27, 2018|
May 25, 2018
April 27, 2018
(Session I & II)
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change.
- Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Costs are for shared rooms; an individual room is available for an additional fee.
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) Summer Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
While in Barcelona:
- SIS Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff of Barcelona Experts
- Independent Travel Advice
Cultural & Social Activities:
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Costa Brava, Valencia, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- The “Barcelona Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Salsa Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Mentor Program & Cultural Dinner
- Welcome Hike & Traditional Catalan Welcome Lunch
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Housing in Barcelona
Barcelona SAE is excited to offer our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for YOU to call your home away from home. Housing is offered on a first-come and availability basis, and semester students can typically choose from either a homestay or apartment.
Homestays - Our Most Popular Option!
A homestay can be one part of meaningful cultural integration and increased safety of the study abroad experience. Homestays are designed to be a mutually valuable experience for both the hosts and the participant. We work to find homestays that want to share their culture and language with the students and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
A homestay family does not always mean a husband and wife, two children and a cute dog. In fact, what is more common is to live in the apartment of an older, widowed woman who enjoys the company.
The thorough screening process, regular family check-ins and homestay reviews allow us to monitor safety and the quality of the homestays we place our students with.
And as an added bonus, homestays include breakfast and dinner every day, laundry services once a week, a set of keys to the apartment to come and go as you please, and an individual or shared bedroom.
Living in an apartment in Barcelona provides students with a very realistic experience of life in the city. Apartments are fully equipped shared living spaces that Barcelona SAE students may live in jointly with other students – whether they’re American or International. Our apartments are spread throughout the city in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.
Students who choose to live in an apartment do not get meals included, but every apartment has a full kitchen facility which allows students to do their own cooking (and grocery shopping… which can be a very entertaining activity in Barcelona!)