Can’t decide between pizza and paella? You don’t have to! Get ready for the best summer of your life as you get to explore two of the most important cities on the Mediterranean in one trip! Explore the history, culture and languages of Spain and Italy…while you see what cultural elements tie this region together and yet make it so diverse.
You’ll hit the ground running with these eight weeks filled with cultural and social activities to allow you to fully experience the true Barcelona and Sorrento. From cooking classes and day trips, to neighborhood tours and tasting the best gelato; all five senses will be overwhelmed in the best possible way! Each and every day will be a new adventure waiting for you to make the most out of your experience.
Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) and Sant'Anna Institute (SAI)
Located in the heart of the city, the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is our most centrally located campus option. SIS boasts fantastic local and international professors, many of whom are working professionals in the field they teach. SIS maintains small class sizes and focuses on experiential learning, which means that students will get individualized attention and will participate actively during class. Each course includes a variety of field studies, museum visits, and guided reflection that closely tie the courses to the city itself.
The courses offered at SIS encompass international and cross-cultural topics, focusing on the city by discussing local history, art, architecture, literature and geography. Our Spanish Language courses focus on spoken language skills and include useful tools for students to debrief their experiences both in and out of the classroom.
SIS is a Spanish institution but courses are offered through Jacksonville University in Florida. Jacksonville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Jacksonville University. Non-Jacksonville University students can apply to transfer course credits to their home institution by requesting a Jacksonville University transcript.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
When in Sorrento, you will study at the Sant’Anna Institute which is located overlooking the Marina Grande of Sorrento, perched on the cliffside, with stunning views and a short distance from the center of town. Sant’Anna Institute has been recognized for excellence in the field of independent and faculty-led study abroad programs.
Sant’Anna is an Italian institution but courses are offered through Jacksonville University in Florida. Jacksonville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Jacksonville University. Non-Jacksonville University students can apply to transfer course credits to their home institution by requesting a Jacksonville University transcript.
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish or Italian knowledge is required.
- All participants must be 18 years of age by the start of their program, unless they are participating on a customized program through their home institution and have home institution approval.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, please contact us and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS), Sant’Anna Institute, and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are specifically designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish or Italian at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) and the Sant’Anna Institute are both accredited by Jacksonville University (JU) in Jacksonville, Florida.
After completing a Barcelona SAE program, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit an “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate in a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English, Spanish, or Italian and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at SIS and SAI with other international students, and class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience.
For the Sorrento portion of the program at the Sant’Anna Institute, please click here for a course listing.
For the Barcelona portion of the program at the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS), students can choose from the following options:
- Option A (3 credits): 1 Spanish Language Course (45 Hours)
- Option B (3 credits): 1 Elective (45 Hours)
- Option C (6 credits): 1 Spanish Language course (45 Hours) Plus 1 Elective (45 Hours)
- Option D (6 credits): 2 Electives (45 Hours Each)
Additional Courses Based on Enrollment
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every summer, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific summer abroad at SIS and SAI, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Be prepared to see more than just Barcelona and Sorrento! While the program’s key cities are two of the best cities on the Mediterranean Coast, you’ll find yourself surrounded by breathtaking sites across the two nations.
While in Barcelona, your experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a staff mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests. You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Did you know that you can receive a $250.00 discount off a summer program if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|May 31 - Aug 3, 2019
||Apartment or Homestay: $9,750
Apartment or Homestay: $9,900
Apartment or Homestay: $10,200
|Apr 26, 2019
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change. Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Costs are for shared rooms; an individual room is available for an additional fee.
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The Summer on the Mediterreanean Coast Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona and Sorrento:
While in Barcelona and Sorrento:
- SIS and SAI Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- Airport Pick-Up in Barcelona (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Flight Between the Two Cities
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
Cultural & Social Activities:
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- An Overnight Excursion Outside of Barcelona
- An Overnight Excursion Outside of Sorrento
- Multiple Day Trips to Discover Spain & Italy
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Barrio Tours, Guided Visits, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity in Barcelona
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal in Sorrento
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to Barcelona and from Sorrento
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Barcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. Housing is offered on a first-come and availability basis, and summer students can typically choose from either a homestay or apartment.
Homestays – Our Most Popular Option!
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
A homestay can be one part of meaningful cultural integration and increased safety of the study abroad experience. Homestays are designed to be a mutually valuable experience for both the hosts and the participant. We work to find homestays that want to share their culture and language with the students and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
A homestay family does not always mean a husband and wife, two children and a cute dog. In fact, what is more common is to live in the apartment of an older, widowed woman who enjoys the company.
The thorough screening process, regular family check-ins and homestay reviews allow us to monitor safety and the quality of the homestays we place our students with.
And as an added bonus, homestays include breakfast and dinner every day, laundry services once a week, a set of keys to the apartment to come and go as you please, and an individual or shared bedroom.
(CLICK AN IMAGE TO VIEW FULL GALLERY)
Living in an apartment in Barcelona provides students with a very realistic experience of life in the city. Apartments are fully equipped shared living spaces that Barcelona SAE students may live in jointly with other students – whether they’re American or International. Our apartments are spread throughout the city in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.
Students who choose to live in an apartment do not get meals included, but every apartment has a full kitchen facility which allows students to do their own cooking (and grocery shopping… which can be a very entertaining activity in Barcelona!)