Can’t decide between pizza and paella? You don’t have to! Get ready for the best summer of your life as you get to explore two of the most important cities on the Mediterranean in one trip! Explore the history, culture and languages of Spain and Italy… while you see what cultural elements tie this region together and yet make it so diverse.
You’ll hit the ground running with these eight weeks filled with cultural and social activities to allow you to fully experience the true Barcelona and Rome. From cooking classes and day trips, to neighborhood tours and tasting the best gelato; all five senses will be overwhelmed in the best possible way! Each and every day will be a new adventure waiting for you to make the most out of your experience.
Why Barcelona & Rome?
Barcelona? Of course! This city will wet your toes in a rich and historic culture established by the Romans nearly 2,000 years ago. Not only do you have the opportunity to see world renowned art and architecture by individuals such as Antoni Gaudí, but you also are just minutes from the white beaches of the Mediterranean Sea. This perfect blend of historical monuments, modern high-rises, and boutique neighborhoods will have you wanting to return time and time again.
We’re sure you’ve heard the phrase “When in Rome”, but wouldn’t you like to say “When I was in Rome”?! Rome is one of the most incredible cities on earth, was once capital of the Roman Empire and the center of modern civilization. Walk the cobblestone streets, see the ruins of the enormous Colosseum, and gaze upon the works of Michelangelo. Now this is the way to see Italy while earning university credits. Oh, and did we mention that you’ll walk the very same streets as Caesar?
So…what are you waiting for? Apply Today and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
Barcelona International College and American University of Rome
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) offers international students the incredible opportunity to vastly improve their Spanish language skills while earning college credit with courses in English, specifically designed for them. SIS is located in the heart of Barcelona, just minutes from Plaça Catalunya – the central transportation hub of the city.
SIS is located located inside of a prestigious language school called International House (IH). International House is a top leader in Spanish language acquisition, not only in Barcelona but internationally.
SIS is a Spanish institution with U.S accreditation through Jacksonville University in Jacksonville, Florida.
When in Rome, you will study at the American University of Rome (AUR), which is located on the highest hill in the city. Accompanied by spectacular views, your academic experience offers a multicultural environment. You’ll take classes in English with courses covering your choice of Art, Archeology, Business, Communication, Digital Media, International Relations, and Italian Studies.
The classes take advantage of each city to be used as your summer classroom, and you’ll able to earn a up to 12 credits over the 8 weeks – enough to fill a semester’s worth of coursework!
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior Standing
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish or Italian knowledge is required.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, Contact an Advisor today and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS), the American University of Rome (AUR), and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are specifically designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish or Italian at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is accredited by Jacksonville University (JU) in Jacksonville, Florida. The American University of Rome (AUR) is recognized by the Italian Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning.
After completing a Barcelona SAE program at SIS and AUR, the transcripts will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English, Spanish, or Italian and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at SIS and AUR with other international students, and class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience.
For the Barcelona portion of the program at the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS), students can choose from the following courses:
- Elementary Spanish Language and Culture (Level A1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Elementary Spanish Language and Culture (Level A2, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture (Level B1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture (Level B2, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Advanced Spanish Language and Culture (Level C1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Architecture and Urban Design: The Barcelona Example (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Contemporary Spanish Society (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Cross Cultural Psychology & Early Childhood Education (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Great 20th Century Artists: Picasso, Dalí, Miró (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- International Marketing (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Management Across Borders (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Sports and Society in Spain and Catalonia (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
For the Rome portion of the program at the American University of Rome (AUR), please click here for a course listing.
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every summer, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific summer abroad at SIS and AUR, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from SIS’s school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
Be prepared to see more than just Barcelona and Rome! While the program’s key cities are the two Mediterranean capitals, you’ll find yourself surrounded by breathtaking sites across the two nations.
While in Barcelona, your experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a staff mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests. You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
While in Rome, you will wind your way through the fabled towns in Tuscany with stops in Sienna, Florence, Traquanda and Montecatini. With the historical center of Siena famous for its colorful Palio horse race, the highly sophisticated medieval city of Florence, and the beautiful landscapes of Trequanda. But wait…are you itching to see more? You’ll have a look into the magnificent flower strewn mountains of Capri, the city buried under volcanic ash known as Pompeii and the beautiful coastal town of Sorento. As if that wasn’t enough, there is a visit to the famous volcano, Mount Vesuvius, that erupted over the town of Pompeii.
Dates & Costs
For a comparison of all of Barcelona SAE’s program dates, costs, and application deadlines, please visit our main Dates and Costs page.
Did you know that you can receive a $100.00 discount off a summer program if your home institution is a Barcelona SAE Affiliate Partner? Ask us how!
|May 29, 2017 - July 29, 2017 |
|6 Credits, Apartment or Homestay: $10,125|
9 Credits, Apartment or Homestay: $10,500
12 Credits, Apartment or Homestay: $10,650
|April 28, 2017|
- The program dates posted here are for reference only and are subject to change.
- Please do not book your flight until you have received the confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork.
- Costs are for shared rooms; an individual room is available for an additional fee.
- Please note that costs may fluctuate based on currency exchange.
The Summer Mediterranean Studies Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona and Rome:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the NewYork Times
While in Barcelona and Rome:
- SIS and AUR Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University for the Barcelona Portion of the Program
- Official University Transcript from the American University of Rome for the Rome Portion of the Program
- Airport Pick-Up in Barcelona (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Flight Between the Two Cities
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff of Barcelona Experts
- Independent Travel Advice
Cultural & Social Activities:
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Costa Brava, Valencia, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Rome
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Rome
- The “Barcelona Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Salsa Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Mentor Program & Cultural Dinner
- Welcome Hike & Traditional Catalan Meal in Barcelona
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal in Rome
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to Barcelona and from Rome
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
Housing in Barcelona
Barcelona SAE is excited to offer our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for YOU to call your home away from home. Housing is offered on a first-come and availability basis, and semester students can typically choose from either a homestay, apartment, or residence hall.
Homestays - Our Most Popular Option!
A homestay can be one part of meaningful cultural integration and increased safety of the study abroad experience. Homestays are designed to be a mutually valuable experience for both the hosts and the participant. We work to find homestays that want to share their culture and language with the students and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
A homestay family does not always mean a husband and wife, two children and a cute dog. In fact, what is more common is to live in the apartment of an older, widowed woman who enjoys the company.
The thorough screening process, regular family check-ins and homestay reviews allow us to monitor safety and the quality of the homestays we place our students with.
And as an added bonus, homestays include breakfast and dinner every day, laundry services once a week, a set of keys to the apartment to come and go as you please, and an individual or shared bedroom.
Living in an apartment in Barcelona provides students with a very realistic experience of life in the city. Apartments are fully equipped shared living spaces that Barcelona SAE students may live in jointly with other students – whether they’re American or International. Our apartments are spread throughout the city in safe areas, all with easy access to public transportation, restaurants and shops.
Students who choose to live in an apartment do not get meals included, but every apartment has a full kitchen facility which allows students to do their own cooking (and grocery shopping… which can be a very entertaining activity in Barcelona!)