Use Your Financial Aid Towards Your Program!
At Barcelona SAE, we believe that study abroad should be affordable and accessible to ALL students. In addition to our low program costs, Barcelona SAE works with your home institution to accept most forms of financial aid…and we also have a wide variety of scholarships to help you bring your costs down even further!
The state and federal financial aid that you apply at your home institution can often be applied to your study abroad program, including: Parent PLUS Loans, Stafford Loans, Pell Grants, and many more. You will need to confirm with both your study abroad and financial aid advisors that the aid that you are eligible for can be used for a Barcelona SAE program, and we’ll work with you and your home institution to make the payment process as smooth as possible.
Barcelona SAE is the leading study abroad and internship provider in Barcelona, and we provide low cost programming without sacrificing quality. All of our programs include exceptional advising services, a myriad of onsite cultural immersion activities and excursions, combined with top-notch academics and living arrangements. We’re among one of the most affordable programs in Barcelona, with the most included…which means you won’t find a better program in Barcelona at a lower price!
Financial Aid and Program Payment - A Step By Step Guide
Step 1: Understand Financial Aid
Financial aid includes ALL aid that you can receive to study towards your degree: federal loans and grants, state loans and grants, private loans and grants, and institutional loans, grants and scholarships. Generally all financial aid that you are eligible for can be used to study abroad if the program you are attending has been approved for credit by your home institution. However, your school may have specific policies regarding any state or institutional aid and study abroad programs, so it is best to clarify with both your study abroad and financial aid advisors how these policies affect your individual financial situation.
Step 2: Make Appointments on Your Campus
If you would like to participate in a Barcelona SAE program, we recommend that you meet with your study abroad advisor, academic advisor, and financial aid office at your home institution. Make sure to ask about the following:
- Clarify what you need to do to have your federal financial aid award applied to Barcelona SAE program fee.
- Find out if your home school will allow institutional aid to be used for study abroad.
- Ask how the financial aid process works with study abroad at your institution.
- Determine how much money you may need outside of the program fee for your living expenses.
Step 3: Submit Program Budget to Your Financial Aid Office
The amount of financial aid that you receive is determined by the cost of the program and your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) from your FAFSA. Sometimes, federal financial aid does not cover your total program fee and what you will need for living expenses. If you need to look into private student loans www.finaid.org is a good place to start your research, as well as the various scholarships listed on our scholarship page.
Step 4: Complete the Barcelona SAE Financial Aid Forms
The Barcelona SAE Proof of Financial Aid form must be filled out by your financial aid officer. This form provides proof of your award, and it must be returned to Barcelona SAE by the payment deadline for your program. If financial aid covers only a portion of your program fee, you are responsible for paying the remainder to Barcelona SAE by the payment deadline.
In order for Barcelona SAE to apply your financial aid to your invoice, the Barcelona SAE Proof of Financial aid form must meet certain conditions.
- Your school must give you final approval with no conditions attached.
- The approximate disbursement date must be listed.
- The total actual amount of aid must be included on the form.
If one of these three requirements are not complete, you must take the form back to your financial aid office for correction. Once everything is completed in full and submitted, Barcelona SAE can apply your financial aid at that time.
Please note that your school may need Barcelona SAE to complete a Consortium Agreement. A Consortium Agreement is often required so that a student can use their financial aid to study abroad. This agreement ensures proper disbursement of your aid. Should you need a consortium agreement, please ask your Program Advisor.
Step 5: Pay Your Financial Aid Advance Payment
All financial aid students must pay Barcelona SAE at least $700.00 (this includes the $200.00 application deposit and the $500.00 confirmation deposit) toward the cost of the program by the payment deadline regardless of financial aid award. Barcelona SAE requires a minimum of $700.00 from every student by the final payment deadline.
For example: If your program fee is $10,000.00 and…
- If your financial aid will cover the full amount, then you must make an advance payment of $500.00 by the final payment deadline. This advance payment will be deducted from your invoice.
- If your financial aid covers $9,500.00, then you must still make an advance payment of $500.00 by the final payment deadline. This advance payment will be deducted from your invoice.
- If your financial aid covers $6,000.00, then you must pay the remainder of $4,000.00 by the payment deadline. Please note that, since the amount submitted to Barcelona SAE is greater than $1,000, no additional advance payment is required.
Step 6: Pay Your Invoice
Once your financial aid is disbursed (usually after you are already overseas), you will be responsible for making sure that money goes to pay your bill at Barcelona SAE. This is VERY IMPORTANT, because if your bill doesn’t get paid when the money comes in, you could be withdrawn from the program. Please make sure that you pay close attention to your disbursement dates, and that you or a family member are ready to make final payment to Barcelona SAE within a week of the financial aid disbursement date.
Before you go abroad, make sure you do a few things first to ensure you do not have issues with your financial aid:
- Set up Direct Deposit so that your financial aid can be quickly deposited into your account and that you don’t have to wait for a paper check.
- Process all paperwork with your home institution to ensure they can transfer funds to your bank account.
- Set up a Power of Attorney*
You will recieve an invoice for the balance of your fees (less the confirmation deposit and financial aid) approximately only month before the payment due date. All invoices will be sent directly to the student’s primary email on file. It is the student’s responsibility to forward the invoice to a parent, etc.
*While it’s optional to complete a Power of Attorney form before you depart for Barcelona, it is strongly encouraged as financial aid disbursements are often made after you’re already overseas. Therefore, it is a good idea to have a Power of Attorney form signed and notarized or to make arrangements BEFORE DEPARTURE for a parent/guardian to pay the balance of your program fee once financial aid funds are released.
Financial Aid FAQ's
Is it possible to apply all types of financial aid to my Barcelona SAE program?
The amount of aid that you can apply towards your Barcelona SAE program varies greatly from one institution to another. Please talk with your financial aid office at your institution to determine which aid may be applied towards your study abroad program fee.
How do I pay my invoice while I am overseas?
You must make arrangements for payment of your bill BEFORE you depart the United States. Failure to meet financial deadlines and submit corresponding financial forms prior to departure may result in withdrawal from the program.
How much does my program cost?
Please visit our Dates and Costs to see all of our program dates and prices. Remember that this pricing is pretty much a package deal, and includes your tuition or internship placement, housing for duration of the program, insurance, cultural activities, staff mentor, weekly cultural agenda…and more! The only things you need to consider outside of your program costs are for food and personal expenses, as well as your roundtrip ticket to Barcelona.
How much will my additional expenses be in Barcelona?
It totally depends on your living arrangements and personal spending habits – are you a Frugal Fernando, Average Alejandro, or Extravagant Elisa? Depending on your housing option, you may spend more on food if you are cooking for yourself each day than if you are in a homestay. Also, depending on your weekly spending habits and desire to travel outside of Barcelona, your additional expenses can vary greatly.
Do you have any recommendations on how to raise money for my program?
Before you say “I can’t afford to head to Barcelona,” there are so many options you can explore…such as reaching out to friends and family via social platforms. We’ve compiled a list of creative ways that our Barcelona SAE students have raised money to fund their experience in the past:
- Use a crowd sourcing platform such as FundMyTravel or Plumfund.
- Start a blog platform and send to friends and family, making sure to add a PayPal donation button!
- Ask for donations in small increments like $20, $50, and $100…but note that even if you contribute $1 you are one step closer to living your dream!
- Is your family connected to a congregation? If so, reach out to your religious community.
- Do you have a mentor in your life from high school? A family you babysat for when you were young? Door to door marketing in your neighborhood? Network your name and your life changing mission!
- Contact a small business in your town, travel agency, someone who could benefit from having first-hand experience and resources…or perhaps you can write for your local paper!
- Gather with your friends who are going with you (remember our Bring a Friend Discount!), and have a silent auction.
- Are you a talented artists? Start an etsy store, or create a store on Facebook.
- Clear your clutter and earn money! Downsize your closet, jewelry, etc.
- Pick up short-term projects that pay cash, such as painting, yardwork, house cleaning, personal chef, or organizer.
- Work during the holidays at a retailer when you are home on break.
Barcelona SAE Refund Policy
Please review our terms and conditions for complete information regarding the Barcelona SAE refund policy.
Fund Your Barcelona Experience
If you are ready and excited to start planning your trip, but discouraged by a financial road block, Barcelona SAE has another solution for you. We have teamed up with FundMyTravel, who provides us with an online platform where you can fund-raise for your meaningful travel experience. You create a campaign page, complete a brief profile to build trust, add a video and tell your story!
FundMyTravel has a team of dedicated staff who want to help Barcelona SAE participants reach their fundraising goals. They can provide tips and insights on the best ways to spread your word and offer sharing tools to get your campaign greater exposure through social media and email. Click the button below to learn more and get started!